Saturday, April 3, 2021

Out of Time Part 2

 


The last I remember, I was watching the followers of Jesus lead his mother away. "We will return early in the morning," they said as they leaned in close to her. As they left, I heard men arguing about the inscription above the cross. "Take it down! Change it! It should read, he CLAIMED to be the King of the Jews." A deep authoritative voice shouted back, "It shall remain as it is. It says what it says. 'Jesus of Nazareth. King of the Jews!' " 

The air was still. I looked around. I must have wandered away from the cross, and leaned back against a stone, too exhausted to go any further, and fallen asleep. I dusted myself off and walked toward the cross.

Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea held the ladder up against the cross where Jesus' lifeless body hung. There were others with them, including Mary his mother and Mary Magdalene. None of them spoke, but slowly and reverently removed the body of Jesus from the cross. 

As one last tribute, Mary asked to hold her son, one more time. I couldn't imagine the pain, the heartache she must have felt, but she did not cry. She held a piece of linen with oils, and wiped his beaten and bloodstained face. She removed the thorny crown, as only a mother could, careful not to cause any pain to her child. She cradled his head in her lap, and kissed him. As he was anointed with oil, she was there, resolved to be with her son as long as she could. He was wrapped in linen cloth, and a strip was given to her.

She bound his head with the length of linen, and that is when she wept. She sobbed and rocked the son she knew was the Savior of the world. 

The men carried the body, and Mary, Jesus' mother walked alongside Mary Magdalene. I don't know what came over me, but I ran and joined the procession.

"Mary, mother of Jesus," I said.

She looked at me with tears running down her face. 

"I love your son. I know you don't know me. But, I followed him. I know he is the Messiah. He changed my life." 

She reached out her hands and held mine in hers. "My son, the Messiah. Yes." 

She looked into my eyes. "He is the most precious son a mother could have. I shared him with many. What he said was and is true."

I couldn't stop talking as we walked to the tomb that Joseph of Arimethea was providing for Jesus' body. "I saw him at  the wedding at Cana. I had the early wine and heard when they ran out. I drank the new wine. It was a miracle! I heard all about it! I watched as Jesus interacted with the people there. He danced, he laughed and greeted people with such love."

"Yes. That is my son," Mary's eyes lit up through the tears. 

We arrived at the tomb, and I backed away. It was a sacred time for those who were closest to him.

I marveled at the strength of his mother. I marveled that I knew of such a man as Jesus of Nazareth.

"Oh, that he had not run out of time. There is so much more to do, so many more need to know him..." I covered my face. Such a good man. What would happen now?

Mary touched my arm. "I overheard you."

I looked at the light in her eyes. "He said he would rise again."

I looked at the huge stone in front of the tomb. How could it be?

She smiled. "With man it is impossible. With God, all things are possible."

I couldn't help but smile back at the tear-stained face, glowing with hope. 

"I believe," I told her. 

She turned and walked away with those who sealed the tomb.

I couldn't believe the man called Jesus of Nazareth was dead, and lay in that tomb.

My heart was broken, and yet, her words stayed with me.


He will rise again.


copyright.2021.Diane Homm



No comments:

Post a Comment